How much should I feed my lab puppy?
I’m getting a black lab puppy and I need a few tips on things…
1.How much puppy chow should I feed a 8 week old black lab puppy and how many times a day?
2.What size of dog crate would I need for a full grown labrador?
3.Any training tips?
4.How long should I take the puppy a walk as it grows?
5.What is the main things I need to buy when the puppy comes?
6.Any tips on puppy proofing the house?
Those are all my questions it would be appreciated if someone could answer these thanks.
okay i have a white lab puppy so here it goes
1. feed the puppy either twice a day with one cup of food each or multiple times a day with a little bit of food. make sure that the puppy does not get more than 2 cups of food per day at first. weight problems for a lab are big problems! the doctor will then adjust the dogs diet
2. the full grown lab will need a large or extra large crate. but DO NOT buy a full grown one yet! puppies are very small and are not crate trained automatically! so you should buy a small crate to train your puppy (puppies do not go to the bathroom when there is little room, but if there is more than enough room to walk in then they will go to the bathroom in their crate). Another option is to buy a big crate but BLOCK OFF half of the crate so the puppy has just enough room.
3. make sure you stick to a schedule! take the puppy out multiple times a day but at the same time of day. rain or shine stick to the schedule! since it is just a puppy its bladder is small, so it will need to pee alot!! just be patient and after a few weeks you can shorten the number of times taken to maybe three or four. (remember: taking out also includes during the night)
4. at first, the puppy should be accustomed to your yard. so when walking just familiarize it with the yard! but every month take it a few steps further. remember it is a puppy and will tire easily!
5. main things are food, a crate, a brush, and lots of chew toys!
6. ah puppy proofing! buy some child locks for cabinets and if there are areas the puppy cannot go then block them off with a child gate. remember to keep valuables and anything you don’t want in the puppy’s tummy out of reach!
Filed under: Labrador Training Tips
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!